1. Keep the gauze compressed between teeth for 20 minutes.
2. Apply ice externally to the area for 20 minutes (off for 10 minutes and then repeat if necessary).
3. Remove the gauze then drink something cold or have an ice cream (no toppings or nuts on the ice cream).
4. If the bleeding continues place a fresh moist gauze, or cool tea bag, to the area and compress between the teeth for another 20 minutes.
5. You may experience slightly blood stained saliva or a feeling of swelling or jaw joint pain for over 24 hours. After 24 hours do salt water rinses (1 tsp. of salt to 1 cup of warm water). Gently rinse with the entire content of the cup. Repeat this procedure three times a day for three days following the extractions.
- Blow your nose, spit with force, or suck through a straw. This may disturb the blood clot.
- Gargle with mouthwash.
- Do not smoke for two days as it will complicate and delay healing.
- Eat foods containing small grains or nuts.